definitions of individualism

From: Tim Bates (tbates@karri.bhs.mq.edu.au)
Date: Mon Jan 25 1999 - 22:07:00 MST

hi,

we recently were discussing whether society exists or not.

A related topic is "What is individualism".

I would be interested in pithy definitions: here is one to start the ball
rolling.

"Individualism [is] the practice of living in terms of coherent desires
under the rule of law. [It] unleashed, for better or worse, everything
that makes the modern West dynamic and innovative."
Kenneth Minogue (Emeritus Professor of Political Science, University of
London), 1999, 'Times Literary Supplement', 8 i.

Not far short of Ayn Rand. Coherent desires is good. Law is good, but
Minogue's definition doesn't specify the law system.

Who can do better?

best,
tim