Re: Nanotech Arms Race

From: Dan Clemmensen (Dan@Clemmensen.ShireNet.com)
Date: Thu Jan 21 1999 - 19:24:16 MST

Billy Brown wrote:

> Do I really need to point out how unlikely that is? To get this genie
> machine you have to figure out how to make a fully sentient AI, then come up
> with a way to lobotomize it (presumably by tinkering with its goal system).
> Even if that happened, it won't be a week before someone decides to free
> one.

 Your fundamental point is completely correct and we are in violent
agreement: I feel that nanotech without SI is essentially impossible.
   please see:
 http://bobo.shirenet.com/~dgc/singularity/singularity.htm
which I wrote in 1996.

I thought that you had made an assumption of nanotech without SI.
If you agree that nanotech->SI, then why discuss attack and defense?

I picked the Oort scenario because I felt that it was in range of a
non-sentient altorithm that cou8ld be devised by a human. In my opinion,
it's a great deal simpler than an upload. The high-level spec incudes:
  -- find comets.
  -- segregate metals and carbon
  -- compute balistics
  -- construct shells
  -- construct simple (!) machinery (fusion reastors, mass drivers, etc.)

Plus a few trivial details :-)