Singularity Mind-Benders

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Mon Jan 11 1999 - 20:18:02 MST

Fun Problems for Singularitarians:

==

If mortal life is totally meaningless, it would be logical to
exterminate them for their spare atoms. Mortals, knowing this, will
refuse to create Singularities. If mortals could bargain with the
Singularity, it would obviously be to the Singularity's advantage to set
aside a quadrillionth of computing power for Permutation-City-style
accomodations, in return for existing at all. But we can't bargain with
the Singularity until after we've created it and our hold is gone.
Bearing this in mind, how can you bind the Singularity to the bargain?
What is the Singularity's logical course of action?

Bonus question one: Suppose you have a time machine that can ONLY
convey the information as to whether or not the Singularity will happen.
 If you change your plans as a result of the indicator, it resends.
This is one bit of information and thus can be modulated to convey
messages from the future. How do you negotiate?

Bonus question two: In both cases above, it is necessary to plausibly
threaten not to create a Singularity. The only other option, in the
long run, is exterminating the human race. This has to be able to
plausibly happen, either as a logical consequence or as an alternate
future. How do you force yourself to destroy the Earth?

==

If a Singularity is a good thing, why haven't earlier Singularities sent
robot probes to help it happen? If SIs commit suicide, why isn't the
whole Universe full of mortals?

==

How can you fight your future self, who automatically knows all of your
plans, including the ones you're making right now? What if the future
self is a transhuman?

==

Is there any way to oppose a Power running a simulation of you?

--
        sentience@pobox.com         Eliezer S. Yudkowsky
         http://pobox.com/~sentience/AI_design.temp.html