Re: Rational base for morals

From: Lee Daniel Crocker (lcrocker@mercury.colossus.net)
Date: Mon Jan 11 1999 - 13:09:52 MST

> Can you tell me how I can, in good faith, follow a moral code when
> I believe there is no logical reason to do so?

Even accepting (as I do) the Humean assertion that normative
propositions are unprovable, once one has chosen any value or
norm for any reason, one /can/ logically deduce which set of
actions support that value and which do not. Once one has
accepted, for example, that continuing one's own life is a value,
it is absolutely and objectively true that placing a loaded
gun to your temple and pulling the trigger is BAD /with respect
to that value/. Similarly, if you express values such as "the
absence of suffering in other humans", then it is perfectly
rational to argue about which political systems are likely to
support or hinder that value, so long as you do not try to sneak
in other unrelated norms in your argument.

> Especially when nobody has yet even managed to come up with
> a logical objection to rape...

The "suffering" norm works easiliy here, but I can do better:
(1) Rape increases the population of persons with genetic
  qualities that women would not have rationally chosen
  in their mates.
(2) Rape may impose a great economic cost on the victim other
  than suffering: pregnancy, disease, etc.
(3) The act of sex is of economic value, so rape is a theft
  of valuable services (laws against theft being in turn
  justified as economically inefficient).

Note that while (2) and (3) apply both to male and female
victims (though not equally since pregnancy is a cakewalk
for the male involved) (1) applies only in the case of
men raping women. This may be a rational justification for
the legal double standard that we see in practice, and also
may explain why evolution has shaped female brains to
experience more suffering from the act than male brains
seem to.

--
Lee Daniel Crocker <lee@piclab.com> <http://www.piclab.com/lcrocker.html>
"All inventions or works of authorship original to me, herein and past,