Re: Major Technologies

From: mark@unicorn.com
Date: Mon Jan 11 1999 - 05:20:02 MST

Eugene Leitl [eugene.leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de] wrote:
>Why should a grey goo be disassembling diamondoid?

You mean grey goo can't dismantle diamondoid? Then what's the problem? It's
clearly no threat; we just surround it with a diamondoid shell. The whole
point of grey goo as it's popularly visualised is that it dismantles
*everything* that it comes into contact with.

>Why 'shell'?

Because the original poster was talking about an expanding sphere of grey
goo starting from a small initial colony. Only the exterior shell would be
a problem for us.

>Funny, I think the problem is at least nondecideable with our current
>knowledge.

Yes, but you've made it nondecidable by redefining the problem, and limiting
the grey goo's capabilities. Your grey goo would be a threat to humans, but
not to any diamondoid creatures; or any transhumans with diamondoid skin.

    Mark