Capitalism & Idea Ownership

From: Ian Goddard (Ian@Goddard.net)
Date: Sat Jan 09 1999 - 13:57:30 MST

At 02:30 PM 1/9/99 -0400, David A. Kekich wrote:

>> There is no certainty that a purely capitalistic economy would
>> have enriched Einstein. Perhaps he would have found it easier
>> to make lots of money. Producing "good stuff" isn't enough --
>> you have to get other people to pay you for your stuff.
>> Discoveries in theoretical physics are pretty hard to leverage
>> into a really large fortune.
>
> Under pure capitalism, use of ideas without compensation would be
>theft. Einstein would have eventually prospered.

   IAN: Not necessarily. There's a school of thought
   that argues from libertarian axioms (or purports
   to do so) that copyright, patents, and trademarks
   are artificial-government-fiat monopolies that are
   contrary to strict property rights. For example,
   this libertarian school argues that to copyright
   your book decrees that I can't arrange my property
   (ink and paper) in a given way, and telling that
   to me is a violation of my property rights. I'm
   not an advocate but an opponent of that school,
   and am just noting its existence for the record.

   Suppose that a person invented (or "discovered")
   an equation that resulted in fusion energy, would
   they properly have a right to claim a fee from
   any who profited from that equation? Maybe not.
   Which is not to say it wouldn't be appalling if
   the guy enriched many others and died a pauper.

Visit Ian Williams Goddard ------> http://Ian.Goddard.net
(+) Something can come from nothing, if, and only if, (-)
(-) that something is equal to nothing ((-)+(+) = 0). (+)
"[I]n any closed universe the negative gravitational energy
 cancels the energy of matter exactly. The total energy, or
  equivalently the total mass, is precisely equal to zero."

- + - + Dr. Alan Guth (The Inflationary Universe) + - + -