Re: Paths to Uploading

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Tue Jan 05 1999 - 16:51:51 MST

Anders Sandberg wrote:

> A molecular simulation is probably utterly beyond us right now, we can
> hardly simulate a single protein, let alone a cell. But I doubt that
> is necessary, if single molecules mattered so much we would be wildly
> unstable for the least disturbance.

Not necessarily. You could have multiple, redundant, averaged-together
computations taking place that still require single-molecule-modelling
to simulate. We lose individual neurons all the time, and no single
neuron is decisive; but I doubt you can simulate the brain without
simulating neurons.

--
        sentience@pobox.com         Eliezer S. Yudkowsky
         http://pobox.com/~sentience/AI_design.temp.html