James Bovard's New Book: Freedom In Chains

From: Matthew Gaylor (freematt@coil.com)
Date: Sat Jan 02 1999 - 08:24:18 MST

My friend Jim Bovard is having his new book "Freedom In Chains" released on
February 22 by St. Martin's Press.
I'm sure everyone will want to order up this new book and be the first one
on your block to get a copy. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Matt-

http://www.jimbovard.com/ Soon to be changed to http://www.jamesbovard.com

Freedom in Chains
Publication Date:
February 22, 1999
ISBN: 0-312-21441-3
Price: $26.95

Editor: Michael Flamini
Contact: Meredith Howard (212) 982-3900 x267

Government and bureaucracies are bigger and more controlling than ever. A
citizen's own ability to control his or her own life has never been less
than it is today. How did we get to this point? Jim Bovard, bestselling
author of Lost Rights: The Destruction of American Liberty, looks at the
development of the State into a behemoth that threatens to destroy the
individual at the cost of preserving the idea of "statism" - the belief
that government is inherently superior to the citizenry, that progress
consists of extending the realm of governmental compulsion, and that
vesting more arbitrary power in government officials will eventually make
citizens happy.

Reading through the history of the state and its war on the citizen, Bovard
looks at thinkers as diverse as John Locke, Etienne de la Boetie, James
Madison, and Bernard Bosanquet among others. He explores the original
version of the idea of the state, the development of the welfare state, the
progress of the state's judicial system from the original province of the
courts into the lives of men and women and the ultimate fraud that is
perpetrated as the state's benevolence. Freedom in Chains is must reading
for anyone trying to understand how far we've come from our eighteenth
century roots as a community of impassioned patriots to our sorry positions
as wards of the state at the end of the twentieth century.

James Bovard is a journalist who has written for The New York Times, The
Wall Street Journal, and Newsweek.

He is the author of Lost Rights: The Destruction of American Liberty (St.
Martin's Press, 1994)

Subscribe to Freematt's Alerts: Pro-Individual Rights Issues
Send a blank message to: freematt@coil.com with the words subscribe FA
on the subject line. List is private and moderated (7-30 messages per week)
Matthew Gaylor,1933 E. Dublin-Granville Rd.,#176, Columbus, OH 43229
Archived at FA@coil.com">http://www.reference.com/cgi-bin/pn/listarch?list=FA@coil.com