Transhuman dinner technology

From: Anders Sandberg (asa@nada.kth.se)
Date: Sun Nov 29 1998 - 07:25:12 MST

"Ken Meyering" <ken@define.com> writes:

> When thinking about the resonance decay of Waterford Crystal toasts,
> I can help but ask how long the noise would last if the toast was
> made using goblets made of diamond?

Interesting. Since the speed of sound is higher in diamond, the tone
would likely be higher pitched too. Nanobuilt goblets might even
include microstructures to modulate the tone in some nice way (music
playing goblets is somewhat tacky, though).

Can we come up with more "transhuman dinner technology"? Smart napkins
are of course a must. I have been thinking of diamondoid knives, with
sharpness determined by pressing one part of the surface. But what
about the weight ergonomics? Do we need to weigh them down to make
them comfortable?

On the other hand, chopsticks have the nice property of being used
just by one hand, making it possible to both eat and gesticulate.

Nanotech dishwashing agents might be interesting, although they could
be dangerous if trying to lyse the wrong things. "Never add the start
signal while in contact with the dishwater!"

Anders Sandberg                                      Towards Ascension!
asa@nada.kth.se                            http://www.nada.kth.se/~asa/
GCS/M/S/O d++ -p+ c++++ !l u+ e++ m++ s+/+ n--- h+/* f+ g+ w++ t+ r+ !y