Re: Re DNA indexing: American Red Cross

From: den Otter (neosapient@geocities.com)
Date: Fri Nov 27 1998 - 13:42:56 MST

----------
> From: Brian D Williams <talon57@well.com>

> > From: "Ken Meyering" <ken@define.com>
>
> >A universal identification system based on DNA would be enough to
> >provide a very high level of peace time security.

> It's funny you mentioned this today, just last night on "48 hours"
> they had a piece about national level coordination between states
> that take DNA samples from prisoners. A Florida serial rapist was
> caught by his sample from a Virginia database.

Yes, *of course* it makes perfect sense to index every citizen's
DNA and fingerprints (and fortunately this is likely to happen
sooner or later). The potential risks are truly insignificant compared
to the enormous benefits. Of course, the same goes for national
surveillance systems (with databanks) etc. Plain old common
sense...I've never really understood the paranoia that seems to
grip many people when this subject comes up; it takes *a lot
more* to get "1984".