Re: Postrel on Dynamism and Tech. Progress

From: Fred C. Moulton (moulton@moulton.com)
Date: Mon Nov 23 1998 - 21:43:18 MST

Yes, the book by Virginia Postrel titled The Future And Its Enemies
has just been published. I just got my copy over the weekend and
have not had a chance to read it yet, however I have heard
Virginia give several talks on the subject over the past year or so
and I expect the book to be well worth reading. Virginia's thesis
is that left vs. right and liberal vs. conservative are often not
as useful as the destinction between static outlook vs dynamic
outlook. She claims that the static outlook explains why you
see persons who claim to be right wing or conservative joining with
persons who claim to be left wing or liberal in opposing free trade.
Although the static anti-change tradition within conservatism is
probably well known by readers of this list, this book help explain
it to a larger audience.

The publisher is Free Press. Laissez Faire Books http://www.lfb.org/
has it on sale.

Fred