Re: BANDWIDTH: Take back the spectrum!

From: Ken Meyering (ken@define.com)
Date: Mon Nov 16 1998 - 19:06:10 MST

See http://www.news.com/SpecialFeatures/0,5,27406,00.html

The FCC has so screwed up HDTV and digital broadcast concept, that
it's time for private management of the spectrum. Who the hell needs
BROADCAST HDTV?? That's an oxymoron! Broadcast itself it an extinct
concept, ready to be phased out with digital steaming web content!

Oh yeah, about the SVGA monitor, isn't that an HDTV?

And those HDTV standards? Why not a 2:1 aspect ratio, with square
pixels, rather than 16:9. Nothing wrong with a little black space on
the left and right of the letterbox, instead of on the top and bottom.

Maybe a 1600x800 (or 2048x1024) computer monitor or low-cost HMD?

See http://www.i-glasses.com/products.html

I pray for a 32 or 64-bit multiprocessor Linux kernel based on
Michael Lorrey's parallel DSP computers. And for a nice Wavelet
codec that's based on open standards. We can even ask SONY or
Panasonic to mass produce "The Digital WalkMan", a receive only
cellphone that plays streaming media over the wireless web.

ken@define.com