Re: Gingrich, Moynihan step down

From: Doug Bailey (Doug.Bailey@ey.com)
Date: Mon Nov 09 1998 - 12:14:28 MST

I have to agree, in part, with Eliezer's assessment of
Gingrich. I've spoken with Newt Gingrich on a variety of
occasions and found him to be intelligent and open-minded.
Gingrich's only crime was that he was too moderate for
a GOP that, with prodding from the Christian Coalition and
other groups within the Christian Right, is tending towards
a more extreme right-wing stance. To an extent, this
shift within the GOP was necessitated by a moderation of the
Democrats.

I'd much prefer a Newt Gingrich as a leader of the GOP than
a Helms, Livingston, Archer, or Armey. The fiscal dementia
sported by the extreme right factions of the GOP don't need
a highly-visible proselytizer in place as de facto GOP
congressional leader.

However, not all is gloomy. I suspect Gingrich will return to
public life (or attempt to). I would not be surprised to see
a Bush-Gingrich ticket in 2000.

Doug Bailey
doug.bailey@ey.com
nanotech@cwix.com