Gingrich, Moynihan step down

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Sat Nov 07 1998 - 21:41:44 MST

Speaker Newt Gingrich (R) was a history professor, a science-fiction fan, even
the coauthor of an SF book. He will not run for Speaker and will probably
resign from Congress.

Senator Patrick Moynihan (D) was one of the few highly intelligent people in
the Senate. He will not run for reelection in 2000.

The shepherds are gone, and with them the last vision beyond the next
election. Now the hungry, snuffling pigs rule with their bellies.

It is eery, looking at history, how terribly often the best and brightest are
removed or disabled just before the deluge. Someday, I think, historians will
look back at this moment and say: "Here marks the decline of the American Pax."

There is now no hope that Congress will act rationally in the coming storm.

Who is John Galt?

--
        sentience@pobox.com         Eliezer S. Yudkowsky
         http://pobox.com/~sentience/AI_design.temp.html