Re: Defining Transhumanism

From: Hara Ra (harara@shamanics.com)
Date: Thu Oct 22 1998 - 00:29:14 MDT

The phrase 'no longer be "human'' is an immediate turnoff for most of the
people I know. Also, as we change, so will the meaning of the term "human".
How about:

   Transhumanism is the idea that new technologies are likely
   to change the world and ourselves in so many ways that the
   term "human" will be deeply transformed.

At 07:28 AM 10/20/98 -0500, you wrote:
>At 10:19 AM 10/19/98 -0700, Robin wrote:
>
>>Nick Bostrom suggested that he & I take public our private
>>conversation about definitions of transhumanism. I proposed:
>>
>> Transhumanism is the idea that new technologies are likely
>> to change the world so much in the next century or two that
>> our descendants will in many ways no longer be "human."
>
>This definition leaves out any set of values and transhumanism not not just
>about technology.
>
>Natasha

| Hara Ra <harara@shamanics.com> |
| Box 8334 Santa Cruz, CA 95061 |