Re: TimeTravel

From: Dana Hedberg (dah@powerpicture.com)
Date: Wed Oct 21 1998 - 12:34:11 MDT

Dan Fabulich wrote:

> Lady D'Los wrote:
> >Two simple questions which I feel will tickle your brain cells...
> >Timetravel, a Transhuman possability, or just a daydream? Would it be a
> >good thing, or disastrous?
>
> Into the future? Absolutely. Backwards? Almost certainly not.
>
> Consider: if we were develop backwards time travel at some point in the
> future, then someone could have gone back in time to some point before
> today. If time travel will be discovered, then it has already happened.
>
> Thus, due to the very nature of time travel, if it hasn't happened already,
> we can safely assume that it never will.
>
> -Dan
>
> "Decay is inherent in all compounded things. Strive unceasingly."
> -- The last words of Buddhadasa Bhikkhu

Near the end of the book, _The Fabric of Reality_ by David Deutsch, he
discusses the possibilities of time travel. He claims that both interactive
past-directed and future-directed time travel is possible.

He is a believer in the "Many Universes" model of reality (a model of reality
based on quantum theory which suggests the existence of an infinity of
universes, an infinite proportion of which are identical, or near-identical, to
ours with respects to the laws of physics and "historical" events), and
suggests that time travel is actually movement between these universes,
circumventing commonly held paradox beliefs about time travel. Furthermore,
one can only travel to places(a "time" within the place?) in which time travel
has been accomplished, and only as early, within that universe, as the first
instance of the time travel "device".

At no time, however, does he make claims that he believes time travel will
certainly be physically tenable - the technology may not be possible. He does
mention, though, that some theorists suggest that time travel may be possible
near a rapidly spinning black hole.

-d.a.h.