small sense of future shock

From: Kathryn Aegis (aegis@igc.apc.org)
Date: Mon Oct 12 1998 - 19:51:00 MDT

Once in awhile, I awaken with a disoriented sense that things have changed
for no reason and very quickly.

Practically 24 hours ago, gay men were hunted down with impunity in my
adoptive country. Lesbians were slaughtered on the street and on the hiking
trails. Police ignored pleas for help, the victims could hardly get
treatment in the local hospital. Today, a national outcry over Matthew
Shepards awful death. Demands in Congress for new hate crimes legislation.
Parents trolling the internet for information on local statutes so they can
confront the school boards. My head is spinning! What made this death
different? Does anyone know?

Kathryn Aegis