[LANGUAGE] Learning another language

From: Brian D Williams (talon57@well.com)
Date: Mon Sep 21 1998 - 12:26:16 MDT

My fellow Extropians,

In the interest of personal growth and trying to maintain a certain
brain plasticity, I have decided to take up learning another
language. Although this not my first attempt (three years of French
in high school, living in Japan for a year) it will be the first
serious attempt in a long time.

 I had considered doing this when I was considerably younger, (I
turn 41 on Thursday) but was dissuaded after learning just how many
languages there are, and the fact that I do not seem to have a gift
for learning this material.

I thought I would share my reasoning in the hope of encouraging
others.

I have decided to start with Spanish, because of the large number
of Spanish speaking people living in the Chicago area, as well as
it's percentage of the worlds population.

I have realized that it is not necessary to try attain the fluency
I have in my native tongue, (which I am still learning) but that by
acquiring a few thousand of the most commonly used words and the
structure, I should be able to develop it to good conversational
levels.

I then intend to move on to a second, then a third, and so on. I
may choose French or Japanese next as I have some familiarity with
these.

 I am currently training useing a module from the Random House
living language series which has a textbook and 8 accompanying CD
Roms. I also keep the TV or radio turned on to Spanish programming
as background when I am at home.

Any and all comments or suggestions are most welcome.

I thought I'd share some charts I came across while researching
this.

                        Languages spoken
                          (In Millions)

           World U.S