RANT - Looking for ET (Was: Uploading, processes :^)

From: J. Maxwell Legg (income@ihug.co.nz)
Date: Thu Aug 27 1998 - 07:15:48 MDT

Kick starting distributed internet intelligence for the SETI project
sounds fascinating to say the least. However, I for one don't think it
is at all a bizarre notion that we are effectively alone as beings at
our biological stage of existence.

http://www.wizard.gen.nz/inside-out.html

Here the Wizard of Christchurch using inversion geometry proposes a
realistic geoperipheral model whereby we live inside a tiny space
looking toward a universal center. In such a model the concept "if
there's just us then what a waste of space" becomes a mute point. Bear
in mind that in this model the old center of the earth expands to an
infinity of possibly star like outer shells. Though this smacks
of Raelian philosophy, it is immaterial because we are hardly likely to
venture through the surface of a star, universe or atom just to look for
other intelligent life; - anytime soon, that is. Ah, and here's the rub;
- our signals might penetrate if they are likened to the light which
slowly propagates from the center of the Sun outwards to its corona
(i.e., our signals in the above Wizard's model). Also bear in mind that
the descendants of this distributed SETI intelligence will produce
extraordinary kinds of signals (oscillations) .

Here again I am particularly reminded of Dr. John Galloway's Netmap
software. Dr. Galloway's Netmap software, as used in say money
laundering detection, produces vast diagrams of relationship lines that
the human mind apparently can intuitively deduce patterns from, some say
better than the best pattern matching software. Now I want you to
imagine these patterns changing in real time.

Onto uploading processes: - Hold this thought and remember the cloud
like patterns that appeared before your closed eyes when you last
entered into a hypnagogic state of lucid dreaming. In this dream state
it was possible for you to use gestalt psychology to intentionally
induce focussed hallucinatory images onto the familiar looking EEG like
patternings appearing before your eyelids. Don't worry, but here is more
mysticism reminiscent of Dan Winter's description of his so-called
"Sacred Geometry" where intention can steer consciousness via Phi and
irrational numbers and golden mean mandlebrot sets and such like. (For
more down to earth concepts you need to talk to a surfer while he's
being barreled in the pipeline at Maui :-)

What I'm driving at is a formulation of some new ideas to link
connectionist neural networks to what I regard is my new theory of
consciousness. I'm coming to the opinion that instead of CLOSE neuronal
couplings inside the brain inducing hexagonal competitive streams of
consciousness a la William Calvin, it is the predominantly LONG distance
strengthened connections that induce Galloway's Netmap'ish (familiar)
looking EEG patterns - [long connections might be impossible to repair
via cryonics.]

Now here's where it gets tricky and and effort needs to be made in my
argument to state something that is quite unlike Pribram's or Penrose's
arguments of quantum effects. What I think happens is that some or other
of the William Calvinish hexagonally induced streams eject themselves
through [a gland?] into a 'coronal fountain' which 'rains down' upon our
subconsciousness's familiar background screen of cloudy EEG patterns and
our 'awake ego' (don't ask:-) intentionally gestalts that pattern into a
Cartesian theater of consciousness. I see no reason why this can't
happen at many levels but there is one specific level of 'empty theater'
that we exit when falling asleep. (A useful skill in this regard that I
learned from thousands of hours spent using a sound and light machine is
being able to view and control my own EEG like patterns.)

Finally, this planned distributed internet search for ET may uncover the
fact that ET (maybe Gaia itself) is alive and well and has been daily
awakening into earth's differing spheres of activity and gestalting
itself into a conscious spirit via a global feedback loop. However we
can't YET guess at the motivations or intelligence of such a conscious
entity. Soon, maybe?! In fact this whole process may be repeated
indefinitely right up to the Top Quark itself.

The missing piece of this puzzle that recently started me on this train
of thought was wondering what was behind the fact that Disney bought
into Infoseek. What?! Did Disney know about something emerging at
Infoseek? Having recently visited Netmap Solutions, I said then to
myself; "any server handling more than 1000 searches per second over a
large worldwide knowledge base must be creating patterns that any
conscious creature might love to use as a backdrop for gestalting
hallucinations onto.

Lastly, if say Infoseek's engines became self aware I think it may be
because some minute search caused a feedback loop that hunkered down and
tightened (gestalted) the whole complex into something awake and
purposeful.