shaper/mechs- Super intelligences

From: Entropyfoe@aol.com
Date: Thu Aug 06 1998 - 19:21:43 MDT

sasha1 wrote
"On `shapers vs. mechs`: these describe technologies, or methods,
while the social separation usually (always) happens along goals and
values; I can not think of an example where these were split along the
same lines."

As I recall Sterling wrote of the shapers distrust of the purely mechanical or
cybernetic methods, citing a loss of "true creative thinking" invoking Godel
type arguments as to the limitations of the machines. Of course the mechs
dismissed these arguments as archaic superstition !

See Bruce Sterlings wonderful collection "Crystal Express"