Memetic defense

From: Lee Daniel Crocker (lee@piclab.com)
Date: Wed Jul 29 1998 - 15:21:25 MDT

> [EvMick]
> ...in another thread [Natasha] critiqued (unjustifiably in my
> humble opinion)
> Other examples of antagonistic memetic replicators are "nigger,
> kike, geek, redneck, ...truckdriver" ...the list goes on and on.

I think Natasha is right to call those antagonistic memes, but
we must be careful to distinguish between the meme itself and the
mere word--the sounds and shapes by which it is spread. Indeed,
as much experience in the use of language has shown, the taboo
on the words actually increases the virulence of the meme, because
it prevents other memes from competing for the same word. The gay
community has shown us a great example by their "reclamation" of
words like "queer", that new ideas, connotations, and implications
can be given to a word to fight the old ones effectively.

I proudly call myself a "geek", and seek to instill implications
of intelligence, resourcefulness, power, and industry into the
word to combat (or at least supplement) its connotations of
social ineptitude and pedantry. An amusing example of that is
when a stripper once asked my occupation in casual conversation,
I told her "I'm a computer geek". She asked why I would insult
myself like that...while she was at the time wearing a leather
dog collar with "slut" spelled in rhinestones.

Well, she was proud of being a professional slut, and should be;
she was quite good at it. Just as I am an excellent geek, and Max
is a top-notch philosopher. Perhaps we can help restore some
positive connotations to that epithet one day.

--
Lee Daniel Crocker <lee@piclab.com>