Re: MEDIA: Upside on future, "technofascism" and Homo Computatis

From: maxm (maxm@maxmcorp.dk)
Date: Mon Jul 20 1998 - 13:46:40 MDT

From: Alexander 'Sasha' Chislenko <sasha1@netcom.com>

>A rather interesting article by Michael Malone in Upside
>- see <http://www.upside.com/texis/mvm/story?id=35927f000>.
>He discusses current infatuation of the media with high
>tech, worries for the future of medium-IQ masses, points
>out that the expectations of the technological revolution
>are not accompanied by careful analysis of "implications
>of such a profound historical discontinuity", and draws
>some interesting historical parallels.
>
> Comprehensive, well written, and probably to a certain
>degree symptomatic of at least some of the upper-middle-
>intellectual attitudes to the explosive development of events.

I would even say that some of his conclusions are justified. There is a
tendense that the "intellectual challenged" will fall thru the social
security net.

With the current trend that the new jobs that are being created is for the
intelligencia only, there is a great risk that a large part of the
population will be without meaningfull work to do.

Especially with all the automation taking over the jobs of the middle class
and thus forcing them to take jobs that traditionally has belonged to the
lower social groups.

Hilsen/Regards

Max M Rasmussen
New Media Director