Australian DNA Database

From: Technotranscendence (neptune@mars.superlink.net)
Date: Thu Jul 16 1998 - 21:47:58 MDT

All:

Thought this'd be of interest.

Daniel Ust

From: "Grant Sparks" <grant@sparks.to>
Subject: Australian DNA Database
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 21:33:23 +1000

Sorry that this is a bit off topic (It *does* have the word DNA in it, plus
it's really libertarian in nature of which I know there are many on this
list)

A major national current affairs program run on our government owned
national broadcaster (ABC), The 7:30 Report (16 July 98) tonight contained
the most alarming news I've heard in a long time.

You know those blood test things they do with the baby's feet at birth here
in Australia ? (and probably everywhere else in the Western world)

We've just found out that the government have kept them all.
They now have 5 million. (We have a population of only 18 - 20 million)

- They are providing them to law enforcement officials on request. (That
didn't take long !)

- At the time they did the test on my kids, I asked if they were kept and
told NO. There isn't a hope in hell I'd agree otherwise, and it looked so
suspicious at the time that I asked on at least two occasions about this.

- They are being used in genetic experimentation, testing and for detailed
genetic analysis. These are NOT anonymous samples. They contain our kids
identity information. I think the audience on the extropian list would
realise
the implications of someone somewhere having a database record containing
information about your genome attached to your name. Insurance companies
would love this information - they'd know how to set your premium,
especially if the analysis had already been done for them and was included
in the file.

- Seen/read Gattica, 1984, Brave New World etc ? If you're
wondering what sort of infrastructure is required before that future can
arrive, I'll let you know the very first one - genetic imprints of all
citizens at birth.

I've started a mailing list that I'll use to promote awareness about this.
Send an email to genethics-request@list.to with the word SUBSCRIBE in the
message body. This internet discussion group will aim to provide a forum
where concerned parents can work towards getting our kids DNA back.

This message is being circulated widely on the internet. There is going to
be some real people power on a genetic issue for the first time in
Australian politics.

Grant Sparks
grant@sparks.to
Brisbane (+61 7) 3348 8287