Re: [UPLOADING] It's not all about you

From: Nick Bostrom (bostrom@ndirect.co.uk)
Date: Thu Jul 16 1998 - 07:51:02 MDT

Robin Hanson:

> The earliest uploads will likely be cryonics patients, without much
> hope of getting a regular body anytime soon.

At least they could get a good robot body. That's already possible
today. What more can anybody possibly ask for than a pair of
vidoecameras to see with, a pair of microphones to hear with, and a
set of hydraulic limbs to move around with? ;-)

Anyway, I don't think that uploading will be possible until we have
mature nanotechnology and by then it might also be possible to
manufacture human bodies (though it's a difficult task).

Nick Bostrom
Department of Philosophy, Logic and Scientific Method
London School of Economics
n.bostrom@lse.ac.uk
http://www.hedweb.com/nickb