BODYMOD:Gender Reassignment Successful

From: Kathryn Aegis (aegis@igc.apc.org)
Date: Tue Jul 07 1998 - 12:19:55 MDT

This rocked my world, because longitudinal studies on gender
reassignment occur about as often as blue mice:

Today's issue of the AMA Journal _Pediatrics_
contains a study that has the potential to radically alter the concept of
immutable gender. (It also raises some disturbing ethical questions
the choice of the child involved) It involves the second case of sex
reassignment of a child who suffered an accident during a
circumcision, who was then reassigned as a female. This differs from
the first case in that it was successful. Rather than
try to explain it here, let me refer you to an online summary at:

http://www.abcnews.com/sections/living/DailyNews/gender980706.html

The online _Pediatrics_ has not yet upgraded their website to show the
new table of contents or any abstract of the study--I will post an URL
when we find one.

Kathryn Aegis