Re: Re: Glass music and related...

From: Bryan Moss (bryan.moss@dial.pipex.com)
Date: Sat Jul 04 1998 - 15:24:03 MDT

Anders Sandberg wrote:

[Personalised generative music...]
> Maybe one could apply the work being done on
> wearable computers and affective computing to
> this. Clyne's ideas about sentics (wild as they
> might be) could also be useful.

I've been playing around with some simple MIDI
programs recently and none of them struck me as
being highly "creative" environments. I decided to
set myself the small project of programming a nice
new experimental interface for music generation.
I've been toying around with different ideas and
then...

> Damien Broderick described the mood of AI
> programs in _The White Abacus_ in that way, by
> mentioning what music they hear from the
> information nets.

After an exhaustive search (I never knew this
field was so big) I found some interesting
research on musical AI and object oriented music.
I followed a few links around and now my small
project has been inflated by the huge amount of
ideas on this subject. My reading list will, when
I've sorted through the list of books I found on
the subject, no doubt be another several pages in
length. Sometimes I hate the undying pursuit of
knowledge!

What would be really rather nice - an interface
where you can tweak certain emotions and feelings,
perhaps created by interacting musical agents.

Here's some resources (in the form of huge lists
of books, publications, etc):

http://kafka.uvic.ca/lem/docs/audio/FAQ/
computer_music.html

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/music/midi/bibliography/
section-1.html

Sorry for the line wraps (50 chars just looks
good). Btw, if anyone can recommend *good* books
on the subject I'd greatly appreciate it.

BM