Re: Internet commerce and economic swings: Sasha quoted

From: Alexander Chislenko (sasha1@netcom.com)
Date: Wed Jul 01 1998 - 23:20:04 MDT

Actually, I was suggesting that automated communities of agents cannot
function properly in a complex and fluid economic environment, if they
communicate through price signals alone. My suggested fix was to
automate sharing of knowledge of utility of various resources in
different situations, by augmenting the value representation signaling
system (pure economy) with non-scalar situational utility data flows.
My early experiments show that this "hypereconomy" represents a more
adaptive and efficient way to drive a complex multi-agent market.

  I do not think that anybody reading New Scientist could guess this
from what they quoted. But hopefully, a few interested people may
look up my hypereconomy page. I just hope that the others do not
get too scared by the "agent economy is unstable and dangerous"
statement. Kephart wasn't really trying to make it either.
He is just trying to run and study simplified market models, just
as I do. I just met him at Alife VI conference; it looks like I
may do some work together with his IBM group. In some distant future
we may even really make some statements about the stability of the
automated markets...