FDA Ban ALERT: Cholestin

From: Ian Goddard (igoddard@netkonnect.net)
Date: Wed Jun 03 1998 - 11:50:08 MDT

At 09:41 AM 6/3/98 -0700, James Rogers wrote:

>>"Mevacor.") (In addition to the substance which is similar to lovastatin,
>>the red rice yeast also contains nine other active ingredients which
>>undoubtedly make it synergistically much SAFER than Mevacor.)
>

>This is an irritatingly common misperception. How does something being
>"natural" make it chemically any safer than synthetically manufactured
>drugs? Also how does having 10 active ingredients make something safer (as
>opposed to one), when the opposite should generally be true? Not to
>mention that "synergistically much safer" is a lot of meaningless
hand-waving.

  IAN: I was also puzzled by the logic implied in the
  statement that because it has more chemical agents
  and because they act together, it is safer. Not
  logical. But I suspect that rice yeast is safer
  than Mavcor, albeit not for the reasons cited.

  But the big issue here revolves around the
  defining of X as a "drug" and the subsequent
  and automatic ideation that if X = drug then
  X must be controlled by the federal Govt.

  To concede that to be true is to loose the
  case for individual liberty automatically,
  for the road to serfdom is then a semantics
  game of saying "If Y is a drug and is Z has
  effects like Y, then Z is also a drug, and
  thus the Government gets to control Z/you."

VISIT IAN WILLIAMS GODDARD --------> http://Ian.Goddard.net