Re: MATH: Number Base Models

From: Ian Goddard (igoddard@erols.com)
Date: Sat May 02 1998 - 13:00:58 MDT

lawsd (david.laws@nih.gov) wrote:

>Future silicon based life forms should be able to denote 0, 1,
>and irrational numbers.

   IAN: And should be able to distinguish between
   numbers and the realities they connote, such
   a 5 and 5 things, and between 0 & no thing.
   That's where my interest in Base 1 comes
   into play, since B1 maps the reality
   behind numbers by 100%, such that
   11111 is both 5 and 5 things.

   To teach a computer to interface with the
   real world, it seems to me that we have to
   establish a logical interface between B1
   and the higher-order-number bases its
   programs are built upon. The example
   I posted doesn't accomplish that. :(

   It's probably easy enough to have a set
   of rules that say 11111(B1) = 101(B2).

>In a highly rapid semi-conductor based individual could '*' be treated
>as irrational numberset? As in *square root of -l?

  IAN: The square root of -l is the imaginary number i.
  From what I understand, irrational numbers are real
  numbers that cannot be expressed as integers or as
  the quotient of two integers, such as the square
  root of 2 or pi. But I may be missing your point.

VISIT Ian Williams Goddard ----> http://www.erols.com/igoddard