Re: Credibility of SciAm?

From: CurtAdams@aol.com
Date: Wed Feb 25 1998 - 09:54:22 MST

In a message dated 2/25/98 5:08:17 AM, asa@nada.kth.se wrote:

>Are there any others who are disturbed by the trend in Scientific
>American? Are we losing one of the in the past best popular
>scientific journals to a mere journal of opinion?

I agree SciAm has, for years now, tended to produce less and less
fact and more and more fashionable opinion. I find it now more-
or-less on a par with Discover, while SciAm used to be much better.
It's still not bad in general, but it's a pity I now have to
check the evidence in each article to see if it justifies the
claims and opinions. The trends are definitely in the wrong direction.