Re: ABC TELEVISION. FEB 26TH

From: Geoff Smith (geoffs@unixg.ubc.ca)
Date: Wed Feb 18 1998 - 12:08:29 MST

On Wed, 18 Feb 1998, Peter James wrote:

<SNIP>
> You ask if this title implies that the search for immortality is an
> obsession in the story, and yes, it is, but almost every scientific
> breakthrough in the history of man has been the result of an obsession,
> frequently in the face of heavy criticism. The bigger the breakthrough,
> the heavier the criticism - look at Gallileo and Darwin as two examples. I
> think it is right that there should be criticism over man's search for
> immortality.

Here's what my TV Guide has to say about it:

Thriller 3:00 Virtual Obsession: "A scientist and his family become the
targets of a vindictive young woman who downloadas her brain into a
supercomputer and stalks them after having her heart broken."

Hmm... just from this, it doesn't sound like a happy ending for the
extropian. Is this movie really going to open people's minds to the idea
of uploading/extropian ideas, or just make them associate it with
"vindictive young stalker women"? (or can you answer that question without
giving way too much of the plot?)

Geoff.