Re: chip compatibility

From: Michael Lorrey (retroman@together.net)
Date: Wed Feb 04 1998 - 06:26:31 MST

Anton Sherwood wrote:

> : > Jeff Fabijanic writes
> : > : ... I have never encountered, nor have I ever heard of anyone
> : > : who has encountered, a valid 680x0 (not 86xxx, btw) instruction
> : > : that did not run correctly on a PPC chip (albeit in emulation).
>
> : Anton Sherwood wrote:
> : > For whatever it's worth, my old versions of Word (4) and Excel (3?)
> : > bomb on my new PPC - illegal instruction. ...
>
> Michael Lorrey asks
> : The PPC is a 32 bit chip, no? What OS? I assume that your Word app is the
> : Apple version, since Word was not made in a 4.0 version for Windows. ...
>
> Nor, as far as I know, was it made in a 680x0 version for Windows. Hint.

Yeah I got it. Made me wonder though at the snide cut about Microsoft using
undocumented instructions, when its not even their operating system. If Apple
were to have a word processor that used undocumented instructions in the Mac
OS, then I'd see the sinister aspect. As it is, the comment was cheap and
immature.