Re: Setting the controls for the sun

From: Eugene Leitl (Eugene.Leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de)
Date: Sat Aug 16 1997 - 23:29:41 MDT

On Sat, 16 Aug 1997, Paul Hughes wrote:

> On Sat 8-16-97, Anders Sandberg wrote:
>
> I think a dyson sphere is a tremendous waste of matter. If ones
> intent is to maximize useful surface area - a mandelbrot foam-like

If we are to rely on solar energy, a cloud of orbiting bodies around
the star (=Dyson shell) is virtually the only configuration I can think
of.

If we can do fusion, or have harnessed microsingularity power, Anders'
Jupiter brain scenario appears best.

> structure beats a dyson sphere by several orders of magnitude. Also,
> assuming we are uploads, it would be much more effiecient to simulate
> our ‘spatial’ experiences rather than actually creating them.

You are thinking of a Dyson shell (=solid sphere). This would require
unobtainium at least. Even buckytubes fall infinitely short of the mark.

Conc. uploads: the form of intelligence was not specified in the above
scenario. A Dyson sphere is an optimal (in regards to available material
and energy) configuration for any application. If you want to minimize
latency, you ought go Jupiter brain.