The Next Century's Great Discovery

From: Rick Knight (rknight@platinum.com)
Date: Fri Jul 25 1997 - 17:16:32 MDT

     Hi,

     After reading Wired's article "The Long Boom" (a feel good
     piece...hope they make it into a movie <G>), I was sparked by one
     simple question:

     What will be the 21st-century equivalent of the discovery of the
     electron or DNA?

     Any horizon observers out there care to take a stab at what is
     presently unimaginable. And on the flip side, any historical types
     care to hypothesize about the state of human perception when we did
     discover our genetic makeup and the existence of sub-atomic matter.

     The most ambitious gesture would be if some mega neuron-firing
     extropian were to identify the real world conclusive benefits of their
     microcosmic "a-has".

     Extraordinary times indeed!

     Rick