Virus

From: EvMick@aol.com
Date: Mon Jul 14 1997 - 16:13:31 MDT

I recently received an e-mail which contained the following:

> If you ever get an e-mail titled "JOIN THE CREW", do not open it
> because it will wipe out everything on your hard disk. This is the
> latest virus not many people know about it. So e-mail it to >everyone
> you know!!!!!!

This contradicts what I think I know about virii. My understanding was that
e-mail cannot transmit computer viruses...only memetic ones. That for a
virus to be forwared it was necessary for executable code to be
transfered..which email is not.

Would someone please explain this to me?

EvMick