Re: Cultural Dominants

From: Reilly Jones (Reilly@compuserve.com)
Date: Sat Jun 14 1997 - 13:17:02 MDT

Michael Butler wrote 6/14/97: <Have you actually read the work in question?
(_The Fourth Turning_). If not, how can you be sure you know what their
actual thinking is? Or doesn't that matter--is a kneejerk reaction based
on second- or nth-hand opinion all you're up for?>

I answered this back in a post on 3/6/97 titled ""The Fourth Turning" - A
Must Read". I don't like repeating myself so I only reposted the bare
minimum from this, I'm sure it's archived somewhere in the cyberether for
your perusal. I'm flattered that you think my lengthy and articulate post
might qualify as a "knee-jerk reaction."

Michael: <You seem like an interesting person, I hope we can talk
sometime.>

Why, thank you. Exchanging pleasantries on-line is always refreshing.

P.S. In case someone is dying to correct me, I know Braudel's first name
was really Fernand, not Ferdinand. I routinely make this mistake because I
think of his girlfriend, Isabella.

Reilly Jones | Philosophy of Technology:
Reilly@compuserve.com | The rational, moral and political relations