DIET-FOOD COMBINING

From: graham.clarke@dse.com.au
Date: Thu May 15 1997 - 07:32:35 MDT

On Sun, 11 May 1997, Anders Sandberg replied to ard:

 AS> ... So my guess is that combining foods is just a simple strategy to
 AS> be sure you have all nutrients you need by ingesting a bigger mixture,
 AS> nothing more, nothing less.

 AS> ... It should be noted that animalic food
 AS> contains all EAA, it is just vegans who need to worry (?) about them
 AS> and eat a somewhat more diverse diet.

Yes. In particular the essential amino acid Lysine is deficient
in plant proteins. Lysine can prevent glyco-sylation in ageing
and (IIRC) is important for strong muscles and immune function.

In talking with vegans I am always surprised that so frequently
they are unaware of this possible deficiency. If the vegan
diet is restricted (perhaps to lose weight) lysine deficiency
is almost inevitable.