Re: Extropic art: symbolism, interpretation & association

From: Kathryn Aegis (aegis@igc.apc.org)
Date: Thu Mar 13 1997 - 16:55:17 MST

Sarah Marr:
>Art is a discourse, and the creators of Extropic Art act as a voice for
>Extropianism; indeed, they may define Extropianism.

I disagree. I have never heard of a philosophy, a movement, or a
religion that has been defined by its artists or by their artwork.
If anything, the artworks themselves have either defied or expanded
the boundaries of the particular source of inspiration. I find the
idea as dangerous as Michael Lorrey's suggestion that we act as
"cheerleaders". To make artists definers or cheerleaders imbues them
with the role of becoming a mouthpiece for ideologies, when in fact
our role involves the challenging of assumptions and the exploration
of new avenues of thought.

Sin,

Kathryn Aegis