Re: Upload motivations (was SPACE: Lunar Billboard?)

From: QueeneMUSE@aol.com
Date: Mon Jan 06 1997 - 13:22:00 MST

<<
 So what sort of motivations did you have in mind for uploading? I'm
 honestly curious.

I was actually asking, what just out of curiosity,honestly wanting to see how
this question would be answered, and in fact I have gotten so many
interesting responses that I am really glad I posted that query.

I am not locked into one mind set about uploading. i am not sure it had merit
to me, unless as a backup. I see longevity as the first motivation. After
that, self improvement. Then in different orders, scarcity (environmental and
poplation type concerns), curiosity ( of the type you mention, being able to
explore say space, or physics unknown as yet etc), augmentation and
redesigning ( more freedom of form), a general dislike of things physical (
in some peoples case), and more...
Mostly it is to avoid entropy and obsolescence.

Still, motivation is different from profit, which is again a different
concept than "value"... Making "profit' an interesting concept for an
upload, and am still pondering the question, and have enjoyed your response,
thanks.