Re: evolution and "I"

From: Ira Brodsky (ibrodsky@ix11.ix.netcom.com)
Date: Mon Sep 02 1996 - 12:14:48 MDT

>> <As I see it, immortalists can be divided into two groups: those who
>> want to live on through there current minds and/or bodies, and those
>> who don`t care how the "I" fits into the picture as long as the
>> descendants are "better" than the current version of "I".>

(As I understand it, I've subscribed on an approval basis: if I don't like
what I see, I owe nothing. Otherwise, I will continue to receive thirty
new messages per day. <g>)

OK, I like the idea of immortality (except for Dr. Kevorkian, please). But
as I understand it, the Big Bang (if true) means either that the universe
will continue expanding until thermal density (?) goes to zero, or it will
recollapse.

My question: do extropians necessarily believe the universe will reach a
steady-state? Or is the end so far off it can be ignored? Or, as I would
like to believe, will we conquer this universe and just move on to the next
one?

Ira Brodsky
Datacomm Research Company
Wilmette, Illinois