POLITICS: When democracy fails...

From: Robert J. Bradbury (bradbury@aeiveos.com)
Date: Sat Jun 30 2001 - 18:14:42 MDT

I believe it has been said that democracy fails when the public
learns how to vote itself benefits from the public treasury.

We have a really classic example of this in:
  "House approves $5.5 billion in emergency aid for farmers"
  http://www.nytimes.com/2001/06/27/politics/27AGRI.html

This is on top of the $20.5 billion they are already
getting *after* they had supposedly agreed to the
1996 Freedom to Farm Act, where "so long as they
accepted the rigors of the free market and eventually
weaned themselves of subsidies".

It seems pretty clear to me that the farmers need alternate
markets so they can get out of the food production business.
Something like "growing" natural gas for electricity production
would do the trick nicely.

Robert