Re: Is GAC Friendly?

From: Robert J. Bradbury (bradbury@aeiveos.com)
Date: Sat Jun 30 2001 - 10:41:51 MDT

On Sat, 30 Jun 2001, J. R. Molloy wrote:

> GAC and Cyc are dumb in the same way that encyclopedias and databases
> are dumb... in the same way that some educated people are dumb.

Actually Cyc has a reasoning or inference engine that can
draw conclusions that humans are unable to reach given the
same data. I'd put it as analagous to the Automated Reasoning
work that has been done at Argonne by Lusk, McCune et al and
others (http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/AR/). These may be
successful simply because they can deal with a greater breadth
or depth of reasoning than humans can.

If these methods are tied to some real "comprehension" (suitcase
term) of natural language, they are going to trounce most humans
in the "debate" arena.

Robert