RE: SOC/ECON: Critique of the anti-globalists

From: Harvey Newstrom (mail@HarveyNewstrom.com)
Date: Fri Jun 29 2001 - 12:26:28 MDT

Robert J. Bradbury wrote,
> I think I may have stumbled over the ideal solution (in another note)
> which would be allowing the use of the bar-code at the point of purchase
> to go to either the manufacturer's WWW description and/or an independent
> analysis lab to get information at whatever detail level you want.

I think this would be a wonderful solution to all the problems we have
discussed here.

However, I think that industry would balk even at this. I believe that a
key motivating factor of industry is to hide their GMO products. The
propaganda about "Frankenfoods" is so great, that there is a fear of
backlash and boycott. I believe the industry really wants to hide GMO foods
so nobody can tell whether they are in food or not. Their argument, which
may be correct, is that it doesn't matter if food is GMO or not. However,
because of this approach, I predict that they will be against any way to
track down information on GMO foods. The industry wants to suppress
information that might hurt sales.

--
Harvey Newstrom <http://HarveyNewstrom.com> <http://Newstaff.com>