Re: SOC/BIO: "The Skeptical Environmentalist"

From: Robert J. Bradbury (bradbury@aeiveos.com)
Date: Thu Jun 28 2001 - 12:06:54 MDT

On Thu, 28 Jun 2001, Mike Lorrey wrote:

> The fact is that pilot projects with iron have already proven the
> feasibility of seeding as a means of sequestration. The primary person
> responsible for those projects has been lobbying in DC to engage in
> these activities on a large scale, with the incentive being the ability
> to sell pollution credits to utilities based on the amount of
> sequestration.

Mike, the problem is slightly more complex than that as I discuss
to a limited extent in my paper. It doesn't do you much good to
supply the cyanobacteria with micronutrients as they will just get
eaten by the plankton that will respire most of the C back into the
atmosphere. You really have to engineer a complete system that will
really sequester the carbon. I was really surprised when I investigated
this in detail and found out how much carbon the oceans cycle from
the atomosphere into the ocean and then back into the atmosphere.

Robert