Re: ASTROPHYSICS: Magnetic fields stiffen space time

From: Amara Graps (Amara.Graps@mpi-hd.mpg.de)
Date: Tue Jun 26 2001 - 10:31:18 MDT

From: Justin Corwin (thesweetestdream@hotmail.com)

>also, levitation, like john clark mentioned. that seems like a warping
>of space time to me. after all, gravity does that to attract things,
>and negating gravity's hold enough to "float" something, would seem to
>require a negative gravity spacewarp, or unwarping. (or i could be
>ignorant and talking out my....)

There are other forces in the Universe besides gravitation: for
example the Lorentz force, which can explain levitation.

Some examples of levitation:
Saturn's B ring spokes, electrostatic dust transport on the Moon:

"Dusty Phenomena in the Solar System", Sky&Telescope, pg. 61
http://galileo.mpi-hd.mpg.de/~graps/st/page6_med.jpg
(Thomas Gold has proposed electrostatic dust transport on Eros
too)

Amara

Amara Graps                |   Max-Planck-Institut fuer Kernphysik
Interplanetary Dust Group  |   Saupfercheckweg 1
+49-6221-516-543           |   69117 Heidelberg, GERMANY
Amara.Graps@mpi-hd.mpg.de  *   http://galileo.mpi-hd.mpg.de/~graps
      "Never fight an inanimate object." - P. J. O'Rourke