Re: The meaning of philosophy and the lawn chair

From: Damien Broderick (d.broderick@english.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Mon Jun 25 2001 - 01:04:19 MDT

At 09:42 PM 6/24/01 -0700, Hal wrote:

>I feel we should work
>toward a new methodology for addressing the genuine difficulties which
>some people have with aspects of future technology. The language of
>battle, of conflict, is not the appropriate metaphor for addressing
>this problem. We should not seek to vanquish our opponents, to defeat
>them in debate or in politics.

Indeed. This is the main disagreement I had with Greg Burch's excellent
address at Extro5--it was far too structured by the rhetoric of conflict
and even battle. This *might* turn out eventually to be literally true, and
in some instances is already, but I find it a self-defeating choice of
analysis and semiotic tactics.

Damien Broderick