Re: Ex-post-extro.....

From: Spike Jones (spike66@attglobal.net)
Date: Sun Jun 24 2001 - 20:16:17 MDT

"Robert J. Bradbury" wrote:

> > The best thing about entertaining a crowd of extropians is
> > that it is so easy. That crowd entertains itself.
>
> This is a totally good thing, because if Spike were
> responsible for the entertainment, we would have a
> large number of puppets prancing across a stage in
> bright costumes with the numbers 3, 5, 7, 11, ...
> embroidered on their chests... R.

Oh, yes, and Robert Bradbury was here too, as was
Russell Whitaker, and I may have still forgotten a
couple.

As for your description of the entertainment by me,
I beg to differ, for I would have included 2 and omitted
11. My reasoning is that the series 2, 3, 5, 7 form the
first four Mersenne primes:

2^2 -1 = 3 prime
2^3 -1 = 7 prime
2^5 -1 = 31 prime
2^7 -1 = 127 prime

but not 11, for

2^11 -1 = 2047 = 23*89 composite!

Nowthen, I did attempt to regale my guests with geekish
tales of Mersenne primes, however I quickly noted that
they were not nearly so fixated by the wonders of this
fascinating series as I am.

The bright costumes and prancing puppets notion is
a great idea however, one which I may explore
further. As for nerdish entertainment, Eshaun and
I learned to play Eliezer's hakesot song,
me on the saxophone, he on the kurzweil.

{8^D spike