RE: MEDIA: IBD on ending "bi-illiteracy"

From: Leonardo Gonzalez (magos@extropian.net)
Date: Fri Jun 22 2001 - 16:00:24 MDT

>From my own personal experience (I came to the US at the age of eight), I
can attest to the need for effective bilingual education. My parents, as
bilingual preschool educators, have fought many battles in this struggle
full of misinformation and ignorance.

Early education in a child's native/infant language is crucial to their
cognitive development.
It is unreasonable to expect a child to learn a new language and at the same
time learn math and other challenging subjects in that unfamiliar language.

It is more effective for the child to learn basic reading and writing skills
in the language they already know and speak, than to struggle with these
tasks in a language foreign to them. When the time comes to learn English,
they can apply the literary and cognitive skills they have already
developed.

Sadly, it is true that the drive to eliminate bilingual education has many
Latino proponents. This is because of the devaluation of the the native
language and culture for many immigrants. They are made to feel that their
own language and culture are unimportant and inferior. They want their
children to succeed in life, and would like them to adopt US American
language and lifestyles. It's too bad that they fail to see the value of
being biligual/biliterate, and that they do not realize it is actually in
their child's educational best interest to begin their education in their
native language.

For more information on Bilingual Education, see the National Clearinghouse
for Bilingual Education: http://www.ncbe.gwu.edu/

Cheers,

Leonardo