Re: The meaning of philosophy and the lawn chair

From: Joe Dees (joedees@addall.com)
Date: Wed Jun 20 2001 - 10:00:24 MDT

('binary' encoding is not supported, stored as-is) >Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 02:08:06 -0700
> Samantha Atkins <samantha@objectent.com> extropians@extropy.org Re: The meaning of philosophy and the lawn chairReply-To: extropians@extropy.org
>
>"Alex F. Bokov" wrote:
>>
>> Let me repeat myself, concisely this time:
>>
>> Philosophy that strays too far from factual knowledge
>> flirts with meaninglessness and uselessness.
>>
>> I'm not saying that 'pure' philosophy is a joke. I'm
>> saying it's a punchline bereft of a joke.
>
>Good philosophy is always tied or able to be tied to the facts
>of reality securely and aids in making sense of those facts,
>deriving knowledge from them, evaluating them and integrating
>new knowledge with existing knowledge. Philosophy that doesn't
>do this may be an interesting mathematical/logical game but it
>is not in my estimation, good or particularly useful philosophy.
>
>- samantha

Or, as Kant maintained, "Conception without perception is empty; perception without conception is blind."

Looking for a book? Want a deal? No problem AddALL!
http://www.addall.com compares book price at 41 online stores.