Re: free markets

From: John Clark (jonkc@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Mon Jun 18 2001 - 08:33:11 MDT

Alex F. Bokov <alexboko@umich.edu> Wrote:

> So this is basically an argument for centralized control.

Yes. In general there's nothing wrong with central control, sometimes
for something's it's the best way to get things done. Sometimes for
something's it's the worse way to get things done. The free market
decides which is which. If a hundred thousand mom and pop companies
could make an airliner more efficiently than Boeing they would do so and
put that huge company out of business. They haven't. The open source
software movement is trying to put Microsoft out of business. They might
be successful, or they might not. I'm not smart enough to know which
is the better approach in this case, but the market knows.

> Why is the same argument not applicable to governments.

Let me know when there is a free market in governments, I'll have to
revise my low opinion of them.

>Why does it have to be a 'somebody'? Why not a some *thing*? For
>instance a marketing AI that analyzes market research data and feeds
>it directly to R&D AIs that pass the prototypes on to tester AIs... etc.

An AI program that good would be a somebody, or more.

    John K Clark jonkc@att.net